Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Water for Elephants Water for Elephants by Sara Gruen


My review


rating: 5 of 5 stars
I was pleasantly surprised how much I enjoyed this book. I remember when it came out in the store and everyone was picking it up. This usually turns me off a book as I don't usually like the bestseller titles, they often seem light, predictable and so many people have read them that I've usually heard too much about them. This was my book club's choice so I went with it and glad I did. I loved Jacob's character and his humanity regarding the care of the circus animals. He had a good heart and I loved hearing his thoughts when he was older in comparison to his younger self. He has a spunk that he didn't seem to possess in his younger years. I find this to be true in a lot of people, they spend a lot of their life following the rules, putting others first and putting their own opinions aside. However as we get older and realize life is short, we often come out of our shell and stand up for our beliefs which often rocks the boat. Marlena was interesting in many ways. She had a good heart and due to fear, felt stuck in a situation she couldn't get out of. I especially love learning about a train circus, something I would have never thought would interest me. Very hard work and extremely crooked people!


View all my reviews.

No comments: