Sunday, October 07, 2007

Weekend Wordsmith

Mountains
MOUNTAINS ~ Do you live in the mountains? Or perhaps you have a mountain of laundry? This twilight photo shows Lookout Mountain and the southern part of Chattanooga.

I was born in New Mexico with several mountain towns surrounding my hometown, Cloudcroft, Highrolls, & Ruidosa. As I get older, the memories of driving up to the Apple or Cherry festivals, taking hayrides through the pine trees, chopping wood for the fireplace, building a campfire and so many more, mean the world to me. I miss the view of the mountains and the feeling of safety being surrounded by their looming presence. I miss the smell of a campfire, of pine needles and fresh, crisp mountain air. I have family in Denver and plan on living in Colorado at some point in my life. Its the only place that I can say brings tears to my eyes the minute I get out of the airport and see the Rockies.

2 comments:

Crafty Green Poet said...

I love mountains too, though I've never lived in a mountainous area and I get vertigo when Iclimb too high!

Emily said...

I did not grow up with mountains, but am privileged to have them around me now. I too feel lost without a connection to my creativity, and of course I have a job in retail. Office supplies, & shipping. Why do we do this to ourselves? I wish you creative days ahead!