Thursday, October 04, 2007

Booking Thru Thursday


Do you have “issues” with too much profanity or overly explicit (ahem) “romantic” scenes in books? Or do you take them in stride? Have issues like these ever caused you to close a book? Or do you go looking for more exactly like them? (grin)

I don't have an issue with "romantic" scenes or profanity but when it comes to acts of violence, rape or torture, I have a hard time with reading it especially before going to sleep as I will have nightmares. I put the "Kite Runner" by Khaled Hosseini down when it came to a brutal sexual scene that wasn't really explicit but you knew what was happening. Eventually I picked it back up and finished it. I felt that if a book could make me feel like I was there and have that strong of an emotional response, it was worth completing. I'm glad I did as it redeemed itself by the end. I guess if there is profanity and sex just to provide shock value, I can live without it.

No comments: