Thursday, October 11, 2007

Booking Through Thursday

Live and In-Person October 11, 2007
Filed under: Wordpress — --Deb @ 1:01 am

I said in August, when we talked about fan mail, that I planned on expanding that to live meetings when the time was right. Well, that time is now!

Have you ever met one of your favorite authors? Gotten their autograph?
Yes, Hollis Gillespie and yes more than once and yes she signed the books. My favorite signing with her was at a small coffee shop in Midtown where she signed my book "To a fellow writer slut, good luck with your writing". The title of that book of course was "Confessions of a Recovering Slut and Other Love Stories" so it was apropos.

How about an author you felt only so-so about, but got their autograph anyway? Like, say, at a book-signing a friend dragged you to?

I bought Alice Hoffman's book "Skylight Confessions" at a book signing and talk at The Margaret Mitchell House because she was such an interesting speaker, she talked a lot about her writing process instead of just the book. I like to hear about any artist's process of creation. I can read the book on my own but I can't get inside the author's or artist's head without them allowing it. I had read another of her books years before "Here on Earth" which was subsequently made into a movie. It wasn't all that great and at the event, that title seemed to be the least liked by everyone so I do eventually plan to read "Incantation" as I would like to read more of her mystical writing that the audience seemed to really love about her stuff.

How about stumbling across a book signing or reading and being so captivated, you bought the book?

I've never stumbled across a book signing but did buy a book by an author I'd never heard of at a literary festival because he was so interesting. It was called "The Every Boy" and the author is Dane Adams Shapiro. He was just so darned likeable I had to support his craft.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I am envious! May be I should look out for book signing events! But no one of interest lands up in Delhi!