Thursday, June 10, 2010

Inspiring Use of Creative Energy

Cutting for Stone Cutting for Stone by Abraham Verghese


My rating: 5 of 5 stars
Can I just start by saying this is one of the best books I've read in a few years. It starts out strong and doesn't let up. I was very surprised to discover how much I enjoyed reading about the field of medicine and the different perspectives of the different doctors and what they valued. I admire Abraham Verghese's ability to write so creatively and paint this picture of Ethiopa that made me want to visit this village. The members of this community are like one big family and yet they are so very different I guess not that different from a real family in that way. I was deeply moved by the relationship between Shiva and Marion. I've often wondered about the emotions of twins and if they can feel what the other feels even when seperated by miles. I would highly recommend this book if you love reading about remote villages, eccentric characters, medicine, psychology and so much more. This book starts with the birth of two boys and the death of their mother during labor and ends when they are grown so the reader really gets lost in this epic tale of love, family, extended friends, and the sacrifices people make out of love and compassion.

View all my reviews >>

No comments: