Saturday, March 29, 2008

Need to pack

but don’t want to so am reading poetry instead, here’s something that touched me:

Sometimes a man (woman) by rainer maria rilke

sometimes a man (in this case woman) stands up during supper and walks outdoors, and keeps on walking, because of a church that stands somewhere in the East.

and his (her) children say blessings on him as if he were dead.

and another man (woman), who remains inside his own house, dies there, inside the dishes and int he glasses, so that his (her) children have to go far out into the world toward that same church, which he (she) forgot.


is that how it happens? one is just overcome with the urge or knowledge on some inner level that it is time to stand up and walk out the door. why now? why there? why me? but the urge to stand up and walk is stronger than the urge to stay in the same safe, comfortable place and die within those 4 walls that surround and stifle you. sometimes that is how it happens for me, i’m stuck, i’m stagnant, i’m in a rut and then something moves me, something inspires me, something speaks to me, something deep inside connects with something i must find and i stand up and start walking, to where, i know not of but i know i have to move in order to find it.

2 comments:

Bonnie Jacobs said...

You're back to blogging! I haven't been visiting frequently, so I have just now discovered you are writing again. Welcome back!

What's going on in your life now? Why are you packing? Is it packing for a trip? Is it packing to move (like one of my daughters, who is putting her house up for sale)?

Carla Nikol said...

moved into my very own little apartment inside an old 1920's house. for the first time in my life, at the age of 40, I'm living alone and enjoying more everyday.
emotional roller coaster with husband whom I've separated from but overall know that I am on "my" path....